Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Social Engineering

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:09:06 -0500

coder wrote:
I am currently planning on writting a thesis on social engineering, I have
been fascinated with this subject since I watched Hackers 2/Takedown and
read Kevin Mitnick's book.

Now before I fully take on this idea, what products currently exist to
minimize/prevent social engineering? If anyone saw Hackers 2/Takedown,
Tsutomu Shimomura used a program that could tell him if the person on the
phone actually exists in a company, does this sort of software exist?

What products exist?  User education.

Some companies, such as the .edu I work for, do employ directories where the general public can perform a look up of directory information for an individual (in our case, it's full name, title, location, phone number, and e-mail). In such cases, one could perform these queries, however it's uncommon for directories to exist (publicly) at most organizations.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
LinuxWiz Consulting

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus