Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Social Engineering

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:16:54 +0000

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 18:06 +0000, coder wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am currently planning on writting a thesis on social engineering, I have
been fascinated with this subject since I watched Hackers 2/Takedown and
read Kevin Mitnick's book.

Now before I fully take on this idea, what products currently exist to
minimize/prevent social engineering? If anyone saw Hackers 2/Takedown,
Tsutomu Shimomura used a program that could tell him if the person on the
phone actually exists in a company, does this sort of software exist?

Of course it does, it's called the company directory, most companies
have them. The good social engineers have either hacked the directory
already or are using names of someone that they know is in there.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3