Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: capture the flag (hacking games)

From: unixadmin99 <unixadmin99 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 22:30:46 +0000

On 04/02/06, donita espinoza <the_d_student () yahoo com au> wrote:
Hi..

I heard about hacking competition games in my town,
and its about 'capture the flag'. I really new to this
stuff.

and the prize for the winner is accer laptop, i know
nothing about 'capture the flag', do anyone of you
mind to explain about this game ?

I think its a good event (with a good prize) so i have
a plan to join this event, and i hope i'll get good
advices from you all..

sorry for my english, thank you very much

nita
From Wikipedia, the FREE online Encyclopedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_the_Flag

[quote]
In computer security, capture the flag (CTF) is an information warfare
game. Each team is given a machine (or small network) to defend on an
isolated network. Teams are scored on both their success in defending
their assigned machine and on their success in attacking other team's
machines. Depending on the nature of the particular CTF game, teams
may either be attempting to take an opponent's flag from their machine
or teams may be attempting to plant their own flag on their opponent's
machine. CTF was popularized by the hacker conference DEF CON.

CTF is often used as an educational exercise to give participants
experience in securing a machine, as well as in conducting and
reacting to real attacks using commonly available tools, in order to
demonstrate the level of effectiveness of their chosen defensive
strategies and tools.

An international, academic CTF has been hosted twice by University of
California, Santa Barbara. The winner of 2005 edition was the team
from the Politecnico di Milano university in Italy.
[/quote]

--
~michael

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus