Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS in information security

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 21:19:40 -0500

I know I jumped on this issue early in the discussion with shock that
anybody would compare a college degree with any or even all of the available
industry certifications and then was shocked to see the ongoing interest in
finding a short cut to success without the hard work.

Three observations - those who found their college work to be meaningless I
can only say it's your own fault. I've taught at Ivy League universities and
community colleges. Both had lots to offer but if a student wanted to spend
$30,000 a year and waste their time or simply log credits and a degree at
the local CC, both were certainly possible.

I also have managed and hired hundreds of IT professionals over the years
and anybody who found that the recruiters only wanted a certification should
be advised that they were being hired as a "grunt" without serious
opportunity for career advancement. I NEVER saw a serious IT career position
with management potential being offered based on certifications. On the
other had, there were lots of needed staff positions needed to pull wire,
run the back-ups, trouble shoot and grease the wheels that might have needed
very specific skills which could be well documented through a Cert.

It's true that one of the top 5 spam offerings is now a college degree.
That's because they really are valuable. Buying one doesn't provide an
education.

The only real long term value is your education. While I give CISSP prep
lectures all the time and I truly believe that certifications for
professionals are vital, I hope nobody gives up their education for it.
Study math, science, history and art and be sure to enjoy it - it will last
a life time.

And let us not forget Mark Twain on the subject "never let school interfere
with a good education" or something like that.

Regards.

KWK