Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MS in information security

From: "Vladimir B. Kropotov" <slyman2000 () Mail ru>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:49:21 +0300

Hi all.

byc> I noticed that the question of 'CISSP or degree' got a lot
byc> of feedbacks and comments.  I am also considering more education
byc> in order to enter security field.  I already have BS degree from
byc> good school and working for a IT company working with various
byc> applications.  However, I have always wanted to be a little bit
byc> more technical and be exposed to more research-like environment.
byc> Not sure if I want Ph.D., but definitely looking at one of those
byc> MS in information security.  Georgia Tech and several other
byc> reputable universities offer such program.

In russia we have more than 10 years experience in Information
Security education. The only one Real security - good and strong cryptography.
Any other things - it's just additional measures.
Long time ago, when i was freshman in the university -
i had to disagree with our Gurus but now 9 years left and I absolutelly
agree with them. So if you wanna be in 'real' security - you must have
good math base - it's not possible to get it in two yaers. I have 4.5
years of math in university and it isn't enough. I'm learning math 4 years after
graduation, but it isn't enough. I think 10-12 years of continuous
math learning is enough ;-).

If you want became security folk - University is a good start :-)

But the only university degree - is NOT A SILVER BULLET!!!

Good luck
Vladimir B. Kropotov
Bauman university
Moscow
byc> After working almost 2 years in industry, I know that
byc> experience is really important and that I can acquire the
byc> knowledge myself through many sources although I don't go back to
byc> school to do it. On the other hand, the idea of getting higher or
byc> specialized education and degree is really appealing.  Also,
byc> since my current work does not have anything to do with security,
byc> getting more education might offer me a better chance of getting
byc> in to security field than studying on my own, getting some certs
byc> and try to convince companies to believe that I know about
byc> security.

byc> Any opinions welcome

byc> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
byc> EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
byc> The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
byc> education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
byc> Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
byc> customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
byc> Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

byc> http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus

--
С уважением,
 Vladimir                          mailto:slyman2000 () Mail ru