Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: "Eric Furman" <ericfurman () fastmail net>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 01:07:10 -0500

On 8 Dec 2006 14:28:21 -0000, krymson () gmail com said:
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers and
FatalSaint:

Just want to say I'd watched this thread and I wanted to quickly point
out something I felt was kind of a poignant thing in our field.

You both have good points and, in my mind, you both have rather correct
approaches. One of you believes that a layered defense with multiple
hurdles will slow down attackers and stop a lot of non-savvy attackers,
and the other prefers to shoot for the highly-skilled attacker and focus
his efforts.

I believe both approaches are just fine, and just depends on the people,
business/network, and needs.

I disagree. ;-) I do agree with layered defenses, if they're real.
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers objects to FatalSaint's security measures
because they amount to the following analogy;
I want to keep burglars out of my house. Everyone knows that the
entrance to houses is in the front and all doors are painted red.
To increase my security I am going to move the entrance to the side
and I am going to paint my door blue. Yes, to the casual person, walking
by, this will work, but not to any determined attacker. All I have
really done is make thing more inconvenient for me, the resident.
Do not push this analogy to far, but it is essentially correct. IMHO.