Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:04:33 +0100

On 2006-12-13 Erick Jensen wrote:
The entire staff of the University of Minnesota is also run that way.
The students with wireless laptops are the only computers with DHCP
access.  The ports are bound to an IP and if you don't have it right,
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you don't get access.

I suppose you mean "MAC addresses are bound to ports" here. Anyway,
That's something you can do when you have a wired network where the
devices are connected through switches. On a wireless network you simply
don't have this option, because a) you cannot bind a MAC address to a
specific port, and b) the MAC addresses are broadcast on the radio.

It is a pain, unless you have good documentation.  We had a nice
database to work from, so there were only a few isolated problems.

It's do-able if you have the right setup from the ground up!

It's doable if you have a wired network. It's utterly futile if you have
a wireless network.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."