Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: About War Driving ..

From: "Francois Yang" <francois.y () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:35:55 -0600

I actually disagree with this analogy.
layered defense in this scenario would be;
add a security guard to the front door, add bars to the windows and
add a watch dog inside the house.
So the entry points are the same they didn't move, you just added some
extra security to these entry points. So now if someone wanted to get
in the house, they would have to get past the security guard before
reaching the door, or get past the bars on the windows before getting
to the windows, and once they get past those, hopefully the guard dog
would catch him/her.

On 12/9/06, Eric Furman <ericfurman () fastmail net> wrote:
On 8 Dec 2006 14:28:21 -0000, krymson () gmail com said:
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers and
> FatalSaint:
>
> Just want to say I'd watched this thread and I wanted to quickly point
> out something I felt was kind of a poignant thing in our field.
>
> You both have good points and, in my mind, you both have rather correct
> approaches. One of you believes that a layered defense with multiple
> hurdles will slow down attackers and stop a lot of non-savvy attackers,
> and the other prefers to shoot for the highly-skilled attacker and focus
> his efforts.
>
> I believe both approaches are just fine, and just depends on the people,
> business/network, and needs.

I disagree. ;-) I do agree with layered defenses, if they're real.
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers objects to FatalSaint's security measures
because they amount to the following analogy;
I want to keep burglars out of my house. Everyone knows that the
entrance to houses is in the front and all doors are painted red.
To increase my security I am going to move the entrance to the side
and I am going to paint my door blue. Yes, to the casual person, walking
by, this will work, but not to any determined attacker. All I have
really done is make thing more inconvenient for me, the resident.
Do not push this analogy to far, but it is essentially correct. IMHO.

Detect Malicious Web Content and Exploits in Real-Time.
Anti-Virus engines can't detect unknown or new threats.
LinkScanner can. Web surfing just became a whole lot safer.

http://www.explabs.com/staging/promotions/xern_lspro.asp?loc=sfmaildetect