Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network proximity warning

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 4 Aug 2006 20:43:32 -0000

First, the usefulness of this is more of a legal thing than anything. Your lawyers will like you a lot more should you
have logon banners configured to warn unauthorized users. In addition, using these banners can be mandated by most
regulations and security standards.

Second, putting banners on your network infrastructure (firewalls, switches, routers) is painless, and since only
admins will ever connect, are not much of a hassle. AD has settings to include logon banners (not sure where that is
offhand), but I have found this to be more annoyance to end users than useful. They can also only pop-up with
interactive logons. However, they are sometimes a necessary annoyance, depending on your company's desires.

Lastly, Google "warning banner" or "logon banner" for your particular equipment and you should get lots of examples of
legal wording.