Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network proximity warning

From: "Micheal Espinola Jr" <michealespinola () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:36:22 -0400

On 8/3/06, Eric Moakley <moakley.eric () gmail com> wrote:
Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for Legal notices issued
by Network devices.  My company is currently looking for notices to
add to our security policy notifying any intruder that they have
entered secure space designated for company use.  This is to be
implemented on the firewalls, routers, and switches as well as a
notice upon successful log on to our AD server.  Does anyone have any
setup similar to this or experience relating to its use/usefulness as
an addition to security policies?  Or does anyone have any suggestions
as to the content of such a warning?

I don't know how well this information still stands, but it was
debated a long time ago that any banner that had verbiage that
indicated a cordial greeting of invitation (such as the word "welcome"
in it) could prove legally challenging against probing connections or
people claiming to be innocently inspecting a public Internet node -
thus (as far as I am aware) it has long been cautioned against.

Here is a baseline message I use on all equipment within my supervision:

UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO THIS NETWORK DEVICE IS PROHIBITED.

You must have explicit authorized permission to access or configure this
device. All activities performed on this device may be logged, and violations
of this policy may result in disciplinary action and may be reported to law
enforcement authorities. There is no right to privacy on this device.