Security Basics mailing list archives

Networking security

From: "Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC)" <hylton () conacher co za>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:31:52 +0200

Hi,

I have the below setup of equipment. Please excuse the ASCII art.

Upstairs*****************************************************
                          |)))           |)))            |)))
Wireless ADSL Router(WEP) |     Laptop 1 |      Laptop 2 |

                                |)))
  Box A       Box B     WAP55AG |

The wireless ADSL router requires a WEP key to authenticate and once entered the laptops have no problem in connecting to ADSL. The WAP55AG is currently unsecured but due to location I would like to secure it ,possibly with WEP, as well.

When Box a requires an internet connection it uses its NIC to connect to the switch. Would I set the IP of the WAP55AG as the gateway or the private class A address on the ADSL router(10.x.x.x)? Would a secondary WEP key input be required to access ADSL?

Ideas on obtaining secure 'wireless based' internet access downstairs? No equipment can be moved between floors!

Help