Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Networking security

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 4 Aug 2006 20:32:31 -0000

If I am reading this correctly, you want to have your downstairs wireless unit connect to your upstairs wireless unit
to get internet access?

I would need to know what brand/model of equipment you have, but it is a good guess that you're not going to be able to
do this. You would require access points that feature a WDS (Wireless Distribution System), which most SOHO WAPs do not
have. You can check for settings that say "wireless relay" or "main base station" to determine if it might be capable
of WDS. You could also use one WAP as a repeater or bridge, but again this usually is not something most SOHO WAPs can
do.

Now, I might be mistaken and you're really just trying to have a second wireless access point downstairs, connected by
wire to your switch, which in turn is connected by wire to your upstairs ADSL router. That would work just fine pretty
much no matter what you do, and would be my suggestion.