Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wirless connection security issues

From: "Jarrod Frates" <jfrates.ml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:30:06 -0700

On 8/1/06, Michael Krymson <krymson () gmail com> wrote:
It is better than trying to teach every home user (think your
parents) the ins and outs of RADIUS, TLS, VPN, etc. They don't care, and
that kind of approach will just turn them away from trying anything.

Teaching them how to enable WPA/WPA2 is little more difficult than
using WEP.  Both can use shared keys, and the only additional thing
needed for WPA2 is a patch for XP.  If that's not available due to
being on Windows 2000 or earlier but still having a WPA2-capable
network, a supplicant can be purchased, but WPA with a sufficient
passphrase will suffice for most home users if WPA2 isn't available
for technical or financial reasons.  I brought up RADIUS and EAP
because Cherian mentioned paranoia -- and then I backtracked because
it was overkill for that particular situation.

But never deny that WEP or any encryption will still deter everyone else
including Windows XP which automatically connects to open wireless
networks.

Saying that WEP provides security because it deters the people that
have their computers set to connect automatically is like saying that
closing your front door deters people that might just walk into your
home.  If that was an issue, MAC address lockdowns would be
sufficient, and we wouldn't need encryption.  It provides little more
than privacy from people who generally have no desire to look in the
first place.

I really don't understand why this idea that WEP is "good enough" is
still present.  I knew five years ago that WEP was a bad idea.  WEP
cracking is only going to get faster as network and CPU speeds
improve.  At some point, I imagine someone will break the two-minute
mark -- if not better -- on a routine basis.  Perhaps at that point,
it will be drilled in that WEP needs to be not only disabled, but
deprecated and eventually removed.

Jarrod