Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wirless connection security issues

From: "Rob klein Gunnewiek" <rob.kleingunnewiek () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:03:25 +0200

On 7/28/06, Cherian Thomas <cherian.in () gmail com> wrote:
             I am pretty much a newbie into this wireless arena and
therefore ignorant of the best security practices. Can you suggest me
methods to setup a "secure" wireless environment? Consider me paranoid
:-)

If you're serious about security:

- Get a Linux or BSD system and a compatible wireless card
- Use it as your AP
- Set up the access point without any WEP or WPA encryption
- Run DHCPD on the AP
- Let anyone get an IP address
- Filter all incoming traffic except for DHCP, ARP, etc. the essential
- Choose a VPN solution, and allow authentication attempts
- Allow clients access to the network and the Internet only through the VPN

Now you got yourself a proven secure wireless network.

--
Kind regards,
Rob klein Gunnewiek