Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: static/dynamic file analysis of executable in windows

From: "Rashied Sambo" <Rashied () honeyattorneys co za>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 16:27:28 +0200

There are different levels of checking that you can do and they will
vary from program to program.

The most basic checking that you can do is is with two separate
utilities.
A file monitor,like NTFilemon can show you what files are accessed and
when and what portions are read but for registry changes you have to get
the registry monitor version (I think its called regmon and its by
sysinternals aswell)

You can run them in together and just filter the inputs to include only
your targeted program.

These are quite basic but very good and they work in majority of the
cases but if your program doesn't show up anything then you better hope
that you are familiar with assembler and debugging.

Google some cracking tutorials and your will find in depth reading
materials.