Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: wirless connection security issues

From: Michael Krymson <krymson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:58:55 -0500

Considering you're new to wireless and only trying to protect your home
network from your neighbors...keep things simple.

Here are some things to keep in mind. The chances of a neighbor within
100 yards of you being an uber hacker are pretty slim, and chances are
no one will bother with your wireless connection in a residential area.
It's just not worth the time unless a neighbor boy is curious. So you
don't need to get amazingly fancy.

- turn on encryption, WEP is ok (yes, it is ok, read on), WPA is much
better, WPA2 is what you really want if you can.
- put a password on your wireless router admin, and change it every 2-4
months
- change your WEP password if you use WEP every month
- turn off SSID broadcasting (this will hide you from a lot of casual
people as well)

These simple steps will keep all casual people away from your wireless.
Just keep watching your DHCP tables and you'll be fine. If you want
more, or still see people coming into your DHCP tables, take the advice
others have already posted. I won't rehash the same stuff. :)

Cherian Thomas wrote:
Hi all,

           Recently I bought a linksys wrt54gl router for my home
networking use. I live in an environment where we have frequent wi-fi
brute attacks with air crack and so on. This was very evident the
first time I did a check on my router dhcp client table and found two
unauthorized systems accessing my internet connection (I didn't
implement any  authentication method then).
            I am pretty much a newbie into this wireless arena and
therefore ignorant of the best security practices. Can you suggest me
methods to setup a "secure" wireless environment? Consider me paranoid
:-)
            I will post my proposed network topology which can give
you an insight of my situation.
            : I have two connections coming to an xp system. One a
128kbps and the other a 256 kbps one. I did a connection sharing of
the 256 kbps one and a 3rd internal network card takes it to the
router. The router then shares the net wirelessly to 4 laptops. The
problem with the topology is that my first system (connection sharing
system) is no longer in the LAN (any work around's for this prob).
Also can I get access to any software which can help me with
connection teaming the 128kbps and 256kbps one (I know of a software
midpoint. But that company that makes it has bought it down) to
effectively make it 384kbps (I need it to be in the windows platform)

-
With regards

Cherian

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus