Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificates

From: "Brooks Garrett" <bgarret1 () groupwise georgiasouthern edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:21:27 -0400

I'm not sure if anyone else can confirm it, but we have had an issue
where an expired certificate on our registration page caused the users
IE to try and validate every page with that certificate. This happened
on multiple machines. The solution was of course to clear the slate on
the machine and remove the certificate from the site. While this is more
than likely just a fluke, it is still conceivable such problems could
occur on your network.

Brooks Garrett
SWWAT Supervisor
Information Technology Services
Georgia Southern University

Phone: (912) 486-7971
EMail: bgarret1 () Georgiasouthern edu

<1tgeye () surewest net> 4/26/2006 11:50 AM >>>
We have an IIS server with an old certificate that has expired.  We do
not use it anymore and I am arguing to remove it from the site.  Other
people are saying it doesn't hurt anything and just leave it there.

Can anyone give me a reason why an unused but expired certificate could
cause a security risk?  I would like to add that to my argument why it
should be removed.

Don't leave your confidential company and customer records
un-protected.
Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days for FREE with no
obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy Sweeper Enterprise to
eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php