Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Expired certificates

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 00:56:31 +0100

There are three issues here:

1.      If you are not using it, recover the MS licence, data, server
space and save power.

2.      If it is not used it will not be monitored and an unmonitored
server will be a security if not now, then soon.

3.      If you have overlooked some application that uses the IIS
certificates, and users get to see them, they will either start asking
questions, or start to ignore expired certificate alerts.

While No3 this is not a risk to for directly the IIS box, it is has a
negative message to the users that is hard to reverse.  Users cannot see
why an internal expired certificate is ok but an external one is not.
It's a debate you don't want to have.

HTH

Nebs

------