Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Expired certificates

From: James Fryman <jfryman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:58:33 -0400

Here's a thought - maybe not a risk in the sense you are asking, but
something to consider nonetheless.

If the server in question is a production server, and requires that
users connect to it on a regular basis, you are essentially training
those users to flat out ignore the little warning that pops up when a
certificate is invalid due to expiration or being untrusted.

This may not seem like a major thing up front, but by doing this, you
are showing users that these warning that are supposed to throw up red
flags to a user are just benign, and should be ignored. So what happens
if these same users are the victims of a phishing attack, and end up
leaking personal information through the net. Let's go a step further...
a hacker has penetrated the network, and now otherwise sensitive data
that would be transmitted via SSL is now subject to a MITM attack.

These scenarios may be far fetched, and may be the responsibility of the
company. However, while not all users are the smartest... teaching them
to ignore the warnings that pop up could in fact come back to bite you
in a way that you might not have expected.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers!
-James Fryman