Security Basics mailing list archives

Expired certificates

From: <1tgeye () surewest net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:50:30 -0700 (PDT)

We have an IIS server with an old certificate that has expired.  We do not use it anymore and I am arguing to remove it
from the site.  Other people are saying it doesn't hurt anything and just leave it there.

Can anyone give me a reason why an unused but expired certificate could cause a security risk?  I would like to add
that to my argument why it should be removed.