Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: Kurt Reimer <greimer () fccc edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:25:57 -0400 (EDT)

As much as I dislike most of the laws covering these issues, I'm grateful for the discussion of them in this thread. People should know the laws, even the ones they don't agree with.

But I'm no less of the opinion that the laws governing these aspects of cyber-security are biased in favor of large entities with elaborate online presences, and those people (including professionals in the electronic security industry) who serve them.

One day last week, after reading many posters to this thread agree that port-scanning an organization's network was similiar to throwing small rocks at the windows of a house, I happened to tune into a Talk-Radio station during my homeward commute, and picked up the Michael Medved show. Michael is one of the more civil and intellectually rigorous rightwing talkshow hosts, and he was interviewing a woman who leads some sort of protest organization against RFID tags, whose wafer-thin little radio transmitters that look like ordinary bar-code labels but which can transmit a radio signal several meters when powered by induction. This woman described several imaginative scenarios in which data could be collected in unexpected ways; ex. The RFID tags embedded in your latest pair of shoes, and associated with your identity at their Point-Of-Sale, could be used to determine whether you stopped and admired the display in a storefront, and could perhaps result in targeted junk mail being sent
to your mailbox.

Mr Medved's attitude was basically, "So what?" His standard was that this woman had to demonstrate ironclad evidence of inevitable serious harm resulting from this kind of surveilance before he would regard her as anything other than a paranoid, hysterical Kook.

One could easily imagine many people sharing this viewpoint, and certainly no one would expect the organizations that manufacture RFID tags to be overly concerned about the future possibility of this kind of surveilance. Yet this is the exact opposite of the attitude which is being expressed by many people in this thread. The mere examination of the possibility of there being vulnerabilities in an organization's internet presence is virtually equated with the act of mailicously exploiting such a weakness. And once again I can't help noticing that when it's the privacy of an individual that's being compromised, the burden is put on that indiviual to demonstrate conclusively what harm is being done, while an institution's privacy is sacrosanct.

The informative postings from Craig and others in this thread show that the supposition that a portscan is criminal behavior seems firmly embedded in our legal system. Yet I've seen precious little demonstration of actual harm that comes of it. One poster in this thread said that it makes it more likely that the scanned system will be compromised because a 3rd party may break into the system from which the scanning was done, find the logs of the scans, and attack the vulnerabilities found in the original scanned system. I'd call this a vanishingly small danger in comparison to that of the 3rd party finding and attacking the original vulnerable system! Another poster said that the people who run port scans are likely to brag to their friends about the vulnerabilities that they have found. This tells me that the character assasination of people who run port scans is extensive if not complete.

Further, I believe that it's easy to demonstrate that beyond being strongly biased towards the short-term interests of large organizations that hire electronic security professionals, our present laws and cultural attidudes actually harm the individual user of the internet and society in general, because they basically promote the continuance of an atmosphere in which security weaknesses are allowed to continue to exist.

It's no exaggeration to say that online fraud and identity theft and serious problems and they are getting worse. I've lost track of how many times over the past year I've heard of this or that financial or commercial institution that has exposed the personal, financial, and/or legal information of it's customers by the thousands or hundreds of thousands. In an earlier post to this thread I advanced the idea that a person might have a legitimate interest in knowing about the security of the internet presence of a potential employer. Couldn't it also be said that any consumer has a legitimate interest in knowing about the internet security of any organization that they might patronize, or invest in? Indeed, in this country some states have already mandated in law that organizations must publicly acknowledge breaches of their electronic security!

Let's imagine for a moment what is probably the ultimate nightmare scenario for many people on this mailing list: Some individual or group with time and money to spare, a reliable high-bandwidth internet connection, and immunity from prosecution establishes the new website "http://www.OpenPortsAtTheFortune500.com";, and reliably keeps it updated in realtime!

Assuming that this site takes off and becomes popular, what would be it's short- and long-term effects? Would it result in more or fewer electronic compromises of fortune 500 companies in the short term? What about the long term? Would it result in a more secure or less secure average internet presence for members of the Fortune 500? Would it result in a greater or lesser degree of security in the average commercial operating system and application software product? Would it's effects, (whatever they are) be strictly confined to the Fortune 500 or would they have some tendency to spread over the Internet at large?

In an earlier post I noted the limitations of reasoning by analogy, and many people agreed, but it didn't seem to stop anybody. It seems to me that the present legal and cultural attitudes towards the concept of a port-scan would require us to add an additional final paragraph to that old fairy tale, "The Emperor's New Clothes". In this final paragraph the little boy would immediately be surrounded by several large men wearing black suits and sunglasses and be whisked off to a re-education facility, and the populace would once again praise the emporer's sartorial splendor.

Yours,

Kurt Reimer

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus