Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: What is property and thus why are some things illegal.

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 15:24:07 -0700

(Caveat) First I am neither Marxist nor Anarchist nor do I
live in a country that is. Each of these philosophies has a
different view on property rights, but neither is one that I
care about.

Property (as defined in legal terms) as is associated with
servers, routers and information systems in general is known
in the law as consisting of "chattels". Servers are chattels.
The data are Intellectual Property.

  Ansgar's comments about "putting <x> in a public place" and
"walking through a mall" indicate that he believes that both shopping
malls and the Internet are commons, not subject to private ownership,
and therefore property rights do not apply.
  I believe he is factually mistaken, in both realms.

David Gillett

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus