Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: Kurt Reimer <greimer () fccc edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:45:20 -0400 (EDT)

Further, I believe that it's easy to demonstrate that beyond
being strongly biased towards the short-term interests of
large organizations that hire electronic security
professionals, our present laws and cultural attidudes
actually harm the individual user of the internet and society
in general, because they basically promote the continuance of
an atmosphere in which security weaknesses are allowed to
continue to exist.

 I tend to a different view, that any problems that cannot be
fixed essentially for free will only be fixed if they have
consequences for those who own and are responsible for them.

        Up to this point it sounds like you're agreeing with me.
Were I free to port-scan at will, and free to widely report on the weaknesses that I uncover, then there would be bad consequences for those organizations with insecure online presences, and good consequences for the rest of society. Honest individuals would take their business and their portfolios elsewhere. Organizations who put their customer's money, identity, and privacy at risk would be strongly incentivized to stop being lazy and to fix themselves. And all of this would be accomplished without any increase in the size of government.

A legal framework that recognizes ownership seems, to me, a
necessary prerequisite for enforcing responsibility.
David Gillett

Well, I don't know about that in the abstract. It seems to be that a legal framework in which there is no concept of private property could still be responsible and enforce responsibility. But I'm not advocating any such thing.

But you've got to realize that this whole thread is about an instance where recognition (indeed, I'd go so far as to call it slavish worship) of property rights is not enforcing responsibility, but rather just the opposite: it's being used as an excuse to dodge responsibility. Rather than take responsibility for weaknesses in their online presence and fix them, offending organizations instead vilify and prosecute anyone who points out those weaknesses.

Yours,

Kurt Reimer

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus