Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

From: Micheal Espinola Jr <michealespinola () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:17:33 -0400

On 10/19/05, Raoul Armfield <armfield () amnh org> wrote:
First of all IMHO NTFS is not ideal for storage devices that small
because of the overhead involved.  Also NTFS only adds some security
features such as file permissions. (Feel free to correct me if I am

NTFS isn't ideal with small drives because of sector allocation, but
the only reason you would/should use NTFS is for security.  In the
case of a small portable solid state storage device, encryption might
be a better solution than ACL-based security - especially since we are
considering portability to multiple systems.

wrong).  As far as the number of times one should overwrite data is
concerned, there are different schools of thought.  Some say 3 times
some say 7 times, others may even say more than that.  However,
regardless of what you use (PGP vs other wiping utility) I'd say that it
is the same on flash media as it is on a HD.

I can't make that connection.  I'm not rocket scientists, but that's
an apples to oranges comparison.  One being magnetic media, and the
other being chip-based.  Wipes and trace residuals are not going to
behave in the same manner.  I think further investigation is required.

--
ME2  <http://www.santeriasys.net/>