Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OS to know.

From: Alloishus BeauMains <all0i5hu5 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:07:29 -0500

Well, also, you should consider that Linux is written in C/C++, with
most console based networking tools written in C.

As a result, most of the applications that security folks use are in
Linux for two reasons: 1. Free 2. Able to be reprogrammed to suit
needs.

The fact that you don't need to learn MFCs, Visual Basic, or sometimes
now even .NET means that it is easier to reprogram those open source
tools.

I think this is changing, however. There are quite a few skilled
younger .NET programmers. I do not think it will be long before we see
those kids using programmatic holes in Windows to create more security
tools.

Lastly, I would also encourage someone to learn Windows. There are a
few windows tools that are handy in quite a few situations. Cain and
Able comes to mind.