Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restricting logins by IP address

From: ilaiy <ilaiy.e () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:08:38 -0500

Try using /etc/hosts.allow

Give the IP address of which you would want to allow

and your /etc/hosts.deny should look like this

ALL: ALL

./thanks
ilaiy

On 10/19/05, Keenan Smith <kc_smith () clark net> wrote:
All,

I've got a machine running IRIX (SGI's Unix) and have a need to control
access based on IP address.

Similar to the way root can be restricted to logging in only at the
console, is it possible to restrict logins by regular users to specific
IP addresses?

What I've got is a directory "ABC" and a user "Larry".  I setup Larry to
have ABC as his home directory.  What I want to do is restrict Larry's
login to a specific IP address so if he attempts a login from computer
"123" it will succeed but if he tries from computer 456, it will fail.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Keenan Smith