Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: prohibiting visitors from connecting to network

From: Nobody Special <harmless () owbn org>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:10:47 -0700

Cesar Diaz wrote:
What I'm looking for is a way to secure DHCP so that
only our laptops/workstations can get a DHCP address. I was thinking of something like EAP used for remote
access with certificates to keep computers without a
certificate from receiving an IP address, but I can
find any information on implementing this.

Any ideas, resources or comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Cesar
Took me a bit to remember the name of the software:

http://www.netreg.org/
"NetReg is an automated system that requires an unknown DHCP client to register their hardware before gaining full network access. Through a simple web interface, the client is prompted for their user identification. Powerful scripts then retrieve the client's network fingerprint and store it along with the user's information in a database. The database provides administrators with real-time information for troubleshooting and auditing their networks. The entire system was developed utilizing unmodified, open-source servers and in-house developed CGI programs."

I'm sure there is some nicely packaged solution for the problem out there as well but this is one that many universities have moved to and the only one I've had a chance to play with a little bit.

--
James