Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ZoneAlarm

From: "Robert P. McKenzie" <rmckenzi () rpmdp com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:08:28 +0000

mcfadd3565 () student faytechcc edu wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to stop zone alarm from checking every process that is running on my PC. I'm getting a lot of
popups tell me this program or that program is trying to connect to the Internet.

That is basically the idea of Zonealarm.  It's a firewall and it's trying to protect your system by telling you what
process is trying to get to the Internet.  You should authorized the applications you know 100% are legit and that you
"trust".  Anything else should be examined and if you don't know what they are remove them from your system.

Would you mind providing a list of some such programs and ports they are trying to use?

I would suggest you run things like:

        Spybot Search and Destroy
        http://www.safer-networking.org/

        Adaware
        http://www.lavasoft.com/

        HiJackThis
        http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

Those should sort out most of the nasties that are likely running on your system.  I will ofcourse you have a decent and
updated anti-virus installed (what person wiht an Internet connected machine wouldn't these days).

--
Robert P. McKenzie, CSTA, MBCS     |   GammaRay Technical Services Ltd
rmckenzi () rpmdp com                 |             rob () gammaray-tech com