Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: Password creating Theories

From: Jonathan Loh <kj6loh () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:42:44 -0800 (PST)

To make this even better add numbers to it.

So
"nitTfagMtcttAotC!" will become "n1tTfagMtcttA0tc!".
Or if you have somehing like
"Oh, say can you see, by the dawns early light,"
You can have
"05cucBtde1"  So you can mix it up.  Remember when developing a strategy there
is no hard and fast rule other than it has to be simple for you to remember.
Some people rely on password databases, or handheld password "Remember-alls".
The problem with those is that even if they are secure, you may not always have
access to them.

--- Christopher Carpenter <ccarpenter () dswa net> wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Assuming their use is possible in your environment, passphrases, as
opposed to passwords, will always be more secure.

That said, whenever I want to create a relatively random password I use
something like this password generator:

http://www.winguides.com/security/password.php

Alternatively, you can think of a phrase that means something to you,
and create the password from the first character of each word in the
phrase (or some variation therein).

For example:

The phrase "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their
country!" would become "nitTfagMtcttAotC!"  Notice I capitalized all of
the nouns...this makes the password more complex, while providing a way
to remember the proper case.  You may want to go further and add more
punctuation, numbers and/or high ASCII.

My two cents.

Chris