Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password creating Theories

From: "Bob Kurth" <Bob.Kurth () fcserv com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:42:11 -0600

looked at the sample pages from the book.  They were full of great
suggestions, some of which I had not thought of previously myself.  I'd
like to see the whole book after what I read in the sample.
The key thing for all of us to remember is that our password policies
must be geared to the abilities of the lowest intelligence end user.  It
is hard to understand just how low that can go until you get there.
Even if you can force a stronger password by increasing complexity
requirements, the end user still has to be able to remember it.  A
strong password policy becomes a detriment if it causes the HelpDesk to
be inundated with calls from end users who, because of password
complexity requirements, can't seem to pick a really good one they can
remember.  The complexity requirements should be supplemented with a set
of examples to spur the imagination, and I can happily say that what I
read does just that.
If you're in a place where you cannot move management off the dime to
agree to stronger complexity requirements, you can't improve the
security posture of the organization.  End users can rise to the
occasion IF they have the tools....in this case a series of demonstrable
methods.  I tend to shy away from password generators because, even
though they follow the rule set, their results are not often logical or
rememberable (is that a real word?) for the end user.
This has been a good thread with good ideas.

Robert Kurth, CISSP