Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password creating Theories

From: Jacob Bresciani <jacob () bresciani ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 11:49:11 -0800

I just use this little php script from a command line

#!/usr/bin/php
<?
$random = md5 (uniqid (rand ()));
// take a 8 characters long substring as a password
$password = substr ($random, 0, 8);
echo $password
?>

Can't remember where I found it or I'd give proper credit to it's creator.

Jacob Bresciani

"Passwords are like bubble gum, strongest when fresh, should never be used by groups and create a sticky mess when left laying around"

-anon