Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: Pranav Lal <pranav.lal () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:58:24 +0530

Hi Ansgar,

I was not thinking about disabling the telnet on the client. I was under the impression that the user was running a telnet server. As other listers have pointed out, this is not the case. Several protocols such as SMTP allow telnetting which is very useful during diagnostics.

Pranav
On 2005-11-05 Pranav Lal wrote:
> Why not disable telnet?

Because that doesn't solve the problem. You could restrict access to the telnet executable for normal users (I'd recommend against deleting it, because it is a useful tool for network troubleshooting), but they still could use a statically linked executable instead. Problems like this are
best addressed on the server, not on the clients.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Another option [for defragmentation] is to back up your important files, erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files."
--http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668