Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: DNS and DHCP appliances

From: "Michael Benedetto" <michael () amnh org>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:50:49 -0500 (EST)

Luis:

We've been using the Bluecat Adonis appliances for over a year. Without a
doubt it has been one of the better purchases we've made. The management
client can keep the forward and reverse zones synched automatically. We've
also benefited from the error checking functionality, which helped us find
a ridiculous number of errors in our old BIND config (we were able to port
it into the Adonis) and helps us spot new ones we create before we send
the config out to the servers.

I think Bluecat suffers more than anything from a serious lack of
publicity. I looked at both the Adonis and the Infoblox offerings, but had
I not found a Network Computing article comparing various DNS appliances
from a few years back I probably would never have looked at the Adonis.
Infoblox is definately more aggressive in their marketing and making a big
deal of having Cricket Liu on staff (which is only a plus IMHO if Cricket
is sent by INfoblox to personally manage my DNS). Try them both. It's
definately worth the time.

-Mike

      Hello,

      Las week I have been in a Infoblox presentation, and I think this
products are like an beta implementation of a Bind 9 and DHCP from ISC
precompiled in a propietary Linux distribution. One of the major issues
that I could see is that this appliance dont keep consistency between
the zones and the reverse zones, it should be done by the administrator;
I think this is a MUST in an appliance for that price (M$ DNS for
example, has that characteristic, some frontends for Bind too). Have you
probe these appliances? Which other appliances like this (DNS/DHCP)
would you recomend?

      Regards.