Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: "Tim Ballingall" <tpb () mazda com au>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:14:59 +1100

Brandon,

Assuming the domains you mention are not your domains, you then have
what's known as an open relay, but I always though this is meant to be
disabled by default in Exch 2003 ( not in older versions )

Check this link out
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3TransnR
outing/b218d8a9-8d3a-4c7d-b0a9-c969ee1232f6.mspx

Or, preferably, don't open your exchange server to the internet. Put a
secured proxy in front, like mailmarshall, mailsweeper ( there are many
more ) , or even a locked down postfix box. You can even use a
mailwashing service.

Tim