Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 19:46:41 -0500

brandon.steili () gmail com wrote:
Hi List,

I know this is a common issue that does not seem to be well addressed, but I was hoping you folks could give some
suggestions. (preferably for Exchange 2003)

If I telnet to a system on the internet and perform the following:

[snip]

Exchange 2003 will not relay by default (not sure about previous versions). If you want to have your mail servers tested to see if you are an open relay, telnet to "relay-test.mail-abuse.org" from the mail server itself. The remote server will connect back to your box on port 25 and run a series of tests that finishes up with a summary line of whether you're configured as an open relay.

Check Microsoft's TechNet archive as they have numerous articles on preventing others from using your Exchange servers as an open relay.

HTH,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis   <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Senior Systems Engineer

"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."