Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sender Spoofing via SMTP

From: Florian Streck <streck () papafloh de>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 00:58:23 +0100

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 03:56:23PM -0000, brandon.steili () gmail com wrote:
Hi List,

I know this is a common issue that does not seem to be well addressed, but I was hoping you folks could give some
suggestions. (preferably for Exchange 2003)
If I telnet to a system on the internet and perform the following:
The server will happily forward my mail to the internal mailbox without validating anything. I did not have to
authenticate, I did not even have to provide a real sender on the system, I could make one up. Again, I know this is
a common issue, the question is how can I prevent this from happening?

Accept only digitaly signed mails (smime/pgp/...). Reject anything else.

With the proliferation of social engineers / phishers, etc I would like to try and find a way to prevent this, not
because it is a big problem but because it might become a big problem.

Considering Spam it already is a problem.

Florian