Security Basics mailing list archives

re: negotiation skills

From: lennons () comcast net
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:12:09 -0500

Andres:

replace negotiation skills with people skills,  negotiation is
important, BUT it start with people skills.  The ability to
communicate and relate to people and understand people is necessary
to good negotiations.   If you don't know how to "read" the people
you are talking to you are at a disadvantage.

As IT people many of us, (my self included)  lack well developed
people skills.

We spent all our time immersed in technology and science ( me I
started in Hard Rock Geology - In class and then out in the field.)

They don't teach people skills there.  Or in the field for that
matter.  I have a lot of books here.  Lots of computer books, but I
have even more people skill books, and learning to relate to people
books.

Start with  "How to Win Friends and Influence People" then progress
from there.
(The Art of Talking so that people will Listen - Paul W. Swets )

  It will be a process, I spent a long time reading and rereading
those books.  I have lots of underlined stuff in each one.  And every
time I re read one I learned something new...... My perspective has
changed and I have experienced more since the last time that I read
the book.

To be good at this will not be a one time read, it will be an ongoing
process.  And, The higher up you get the more you will need it.

my .02 cents from the road...

Steve
lennons () comcast net