Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Negotiation skills

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:11:12 -0500

Andres:

There is a series of books starting with "Getting to Yes" that are
extremely helpful in understanding negotiations.  "Getting to Yes" is
one of those short, easy to read books that you expresses common sense
in a way that helps you use it.  You finish it and say 'yeh, of course'.

As for changing the perception of non-technical people, I would suggest
a few things:

1.  Hey, it's your identity they are after - assuming you're protecting
HR information as well.  One hacker got access to "honeymoon photos".
Use your imagination.

2.  Bad security can impact the value of the company.  Some academic
studies have been done in this area (see my post here
http://www.wikidsystems.com/WiKIDBlog/4).

3.  In the end, good companies have good security because they believe
in doing things right and most other things that the companies do they
also do right.  I think the negative impact on stock values is more an
indicator that 'the market, has new assumptions about the ability of the
company to execute overall and not just about its security.

HTH,

Nick