Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: andrew.bretten () kroger com
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:35:02 -0400

Since the original poster asked for an SSL VPN solution, OpenVPN is
(unfortunately) not a valid response.

Neoteris , which is now sold by Juniper , who call it "Netscreen SSL VPN"
is an excellent out of the box solution, however it is not the cheapest
choice.

Personally I baked off Neoteris before they were bought by Netscreen,
against Nortel Alteon SSL when it was in beta and Aventail. (this was
almost 3 years ago).
Cisco I believe isn't really an SSL-VPN as far as being a http rewriter
like Neoteris/Aventail/Alteon....it simply uses SSL as a transport for a
network client VPN (correct me if I'm wrong).

If I had to tell you one cool feature to sell you on Neoteris I would
simply start with the word "flexibile"........it can act as a reverse
proxy/http rewriter, OR an ssl transport of TCP/UDP packets, OR as a full
on SSL VPN Network Client......all of it pushed to the remote PC on
connection, requireing zero management of the remote PC.   It supports
(with version 5) Mac/Linux/Windows in all these modes.

Neoteris/Juniper was and continues to be (in my opinion) a generation ahead
of its competition.

Andy Bretten

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny ... '    Isaac Asimov

Andrew P Bretten
andrew.bretten () kroger com

             Florian Rommel
             <frommel () gmail co
                                       security-basics () securityfocus com
             07/18/2005 03:33                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: SSL VPN

Hi, I have deployed several OpenVPN solutions and with the clients
available for OS X, Linux and Windows, it is hard to beat. It has a lot
of good options and access , encryption and configuration is very
flexible. I don't have experience with other SSL VPNs (Ipsec man myself)
but OpenVPN is pretty good and as far as I have seen so far very
reliable too. Of course you have to harden your server.. but thats a
given :). If you need help or information feel free to contact me.

cheers.
//Florian

http://www.2blocksaway.com

Hello List:

I've been tasked with implementing an SSL VPN solution in our corporate
network and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations and
experiences (good or bad) with the various vendors.  I thought of looking
at
OpenVPN but wanted some guidance on this product versus some other
products
on the market.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,