Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSL VPN

From: Eduardo Kienetz <eduardok () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:53:21 -0300

On 7/13/05, Edmond Chow <echow () videotron ca> wrote:

Hello List:

I've been tasked with implementing an SSL VPN solution in our corporate
network and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations and
experiences (good or bad) with the various vendors.  I thought of looking at
OpenVPN but wanted some guidance on this product versus some other products
on the market.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ed

 Edmond, a long time ago I've used VTUN, which was quite good. But
today, VTUN development has almost stopped (totally? -
04.06.2003 Released VTun 2.6), which by itself is not a good sign.
 Now, regarding OpenVPN, it is much easier to deploy than IPSec and
the same security may be achieved.
 I'm now using OpenVPN in more than 100 tunnels and have had no problems so far.
 Oh, one of the advantages is that OpenVPN has client/server also for
Windows, differently from many other implementations.
 Recently I've been to the Free Software International Forum, where I
had the opportunity to attend a talk given by Mario Bonilla (from
Uruguay), also stating that OpenVPN was the best option (he compared
it to ipsec, vtun, pptp, etc) nowadays.

 If you have any questions please reply, as I could be saying much
more about it.

 Regards,

 --
Eduardo  Bacchi Kienetz