Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: tippingpoint IDS

From: "forums () kentane net" <forums () kentane net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:08:31 +0200 (SAST)

That's one point I forgot to mention and a very valuable point indeed. False positives! Tippingpoing is excellent when
it comes to this. You get very little false positives in my experience. I have deployed 10 200s and 2 1200s in my
network, managed via their management console, the SMS. It's a pleasure to look after these things. In terms of what
specific boxen to deploy for your network, I can't really say. You would have to speak to your Tippingpoint sales rep
he would be able to advise on the size based on the throughput and number of segements supported by the box.

False positives are the major issue with IPS' that are based on IDS. To single one out, the Proventia device (it's the
only one I have some experience with). The rest just lack management tools and are a tab bit cumbersome to manage in
huge deployments. Some are just network based AV. There's a lot of hogwash out there...