Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: tippingpoint IDS

From: "forums () kentane net" <forums () kentane net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:48:38 +0200 (SAST)

First of all, Tippying point is and IPS, the difference you can read about here:
http://www.checkpoint.com/products/internal_security/articles/ht_ips_ids.html

I have experience on both the Tippingpoint and the ISS Proventia. The first thing that you should know is that
Proventia was an outgrowth of ISS IDS, and as such is more like in inline IDS more than anything. Tippingpoint was
designed as an IPS from the ground up. Tippingpoit's main plus is that it's designed for performance. While most IPSs
lack terribly in this arena.

To top it off, a lot of the Tippingpoint signatures are based on the actual vulnerability instead of some exploit,
therefore if a network based attack's signature should change, because Tippingpoint's sig is based on the
vulnerability, it should be able to catch it. This also makes it quicker for Tippingpoint to release signatures to
combat against a new vulnerability even before an exploit is seen in the wild.

Also Tippingpoint is piss easy to setup. In a matter of minutes can be up and running compared to most other IPS
devices that I have played with. Talk to your local reseller, get a Tippingpoint and play with it. You will be amazed!