Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Biometrics

From: "Vinsik, Steven C" <Steven.Vinsik () unisys com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:53:44 -0400

Good point in bringing up potential security issues with biometrics.
Biometrics are certainly not a cure all for security, but should be
considered as another layer in a layered security approach. I also agree
that a compromised biometric presents a serious problem, but if
multi-factor authentication is employed, then a single point of
compromised authentication does not allow access.  The only time I would
recommend using a biometric as the sole authentication mechanism would
be in a low security/ low risk situation where a compromise would have a
minimal impact.

While it is true that fingerprints can be acquired and possibly copied,
I would consider it far more difficult for an outsider to acquire a
persons' fingerprint and successfully recreate it to log into a system
remotely.  An insider may have an easier time of acquiring the latent
fingerprint from a co-worker, but the task of re-creating this image
into a workable fake finger is difficult.  Again, if this were the only
line of defense I would say that we would be in trouble, but in a
layered security approach, the risk of this happening should be
mitigated.

Many of the fingerprint readers of today, which are of any quality, have
built in mechanisms to detect when a fake finger is placed on the
fingerprint reader platen.  While this is certainly not foolproof and
there are always exceptions to the rule, I would submit that a
fingerprint is in general going to be more secure than a password.

Steve