Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need secure firewall for SOHO

From: "Hiroaki Kondo" <hackman () venus dti ne jp>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:20:32 +0900

NetScreen 5 series is best choice!
Try it.

Hiroaki Kondo
J's Communication Co.,Ltd

----- Original Message ----- From: "DAmbrosia, Jim" <Jim.DAmbrosia () montgomerycollege edu>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 10:47 PM
Subject: Need secure firewall for SOHO

To the group,

I have a colleague who has a SOHO network using ADSL. He is using a standard Linksys router for his firewall, but has reached a limit in the number of ports it can open and manage. I don't have one on hand to check, but evidently the Linksys only has ten slots to configure ports to be opened and he needs 12-15 or so.

Without a lot of money he wants to get a different firewall up and running that has more ports that it can manage. I suggested the free version of zone alarm as the only free one I'm aware of; however it turns out that he wrote his thesis on how you can crack zone alarm.

Looking for another much more secure solution?

Thanks,

Jim,