Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need secure firewall for SOHO

From: Jonathan Nichols <jnichols () pbp net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 10:27:09 -0800

Without a lot of money he wants to get a different firewall up and running

that has more ports that it can manage.

Since others have mentioned the PIX 506, I might as well mention the Netscreen 5 (Juniper owns them now) - easy to use, secure, fast, and not terribly expensive.

Also, take a look at Watchguard products. They make several devices aimes at the SOHO market.

Otherwise, I'd like to echo the others: Smoothwall. The community is helpful, responsive, and the product is pretty nice. It's not exactly a plug-and-play solution, but pretty close. :)

http://www.smoothwall.org