Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need secure firewall for SOHO

From: Sebastian <security-basics () helsinki fi eu org>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 00:32:07 +0200

I might recommend Sygate personal firewall as a backup.

You can try it <http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm>. It's good and clean. Business use will require a license though. And no, I'm not getting any kickbacks for this.

regards,

-Sebastian

DAmbrosia, Jim wrote:

To the group,

I have a colleague who has a SOHO network using ADSL. He is using a standard Linksys router for his firewall, but has reached a limit in the number of ports it can open and manage. I don't have one on hand to check, but evidently the Linksys only has ten slots to configure ports to be opened and he needs 12-15 or so. Without a lot of money he wants to get a different firewall up and running that has more ports that it can manage. I suggested the free version of zone alarm as the only free one I'm aware of; however it turns out that he wrote his thesis on how you can crack zone alarm.

Looking for another much more secure solution?

Thanks,

Jim,