Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hidden windows ports, files and services.

From: Alex Yan <drcyyan () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:17:21 -0800 (PST)

Hi Paul,

I did run TASKLIST before without "/SVC" The processes
are invisible to this command.

Last night, I checked Recycler, system32, system, etc,
but didn't get much.

I run TCPVIEW and got two set of interesting entries
with non-existent:

<non-existent>:348  local:ftp    LISTENING
<non-existent>:348  local:https  LISTENING
<non-existent>:348  local:6101   LISTENING

<non-existent>:1740  local:ftp    LISTENING
<non-existent>:1740  local:https  LISTENING
<non-existent>:1740  local:6101   LISTENING

These can be seen from "netstat" too. But I can't kill
these processes using TCPVIEW. I tried to kill other
regular processes, it's OK.

Using "msconfig", I disabled sys.ini and win.ini,
stopped to load startup programs and disabled all
services loading except those from Microsoft for a
clean boot. But these processes are still there.

I also disabled some MS services like IIS, Plug/Play.
Web Client, etc. No luck. After I disabled "DHCP",
processes are gone. But after "DHCP" was disabled,
almost all other processes are gone too.

Next step, maybe I should do something on registry.

Thanks
Alex

--- Paul Marsh <pmarsh () nmefdn org> wrote:

 Alex:

      This is very interesting and hopefully you can do a
little more
investigation before you nuke and rebuild.  You did
an netstat -bano and
found two processes running listening on port 21.
Try a TASKLIST /SVC
at a command prompt to see if you can identify the
executable.  I'd do a
complete port scan on the system to see what else is
happening try NMAP
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ against your system on
all 65K ports TCP
and UDP.  I'd also run Ethereal
http://www.ethereal.com/ on the system
to see if anything is trying to call home or if
anything is trying to
get in.  I'm hoping with the list of listening ports
and capturing some
traffic we can identify what's cook'in.  Another
good source of info can
be found at

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Hidden_Backdoors_Trojan_Horses_an
d_Rootkit_Tools_in_a_Windows_Environment.html

      Please keep us up to date as to what you find.

Thanx