Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hidden windows ports, files and services.

From: "Paul Marsh" <pmarsh () nmefdn org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:59:31 -0500

How should I say this.........................................

        NUKE IT
        FDISK IT
        DOD WIPE IT
        BEAT THE HDD WITH A HAMMER

Sorry couldn't help it.  If the system was on line unprotected and
mis-configured for six months as you say the box is 100% owned.  The
only steps you can take is a complete system rebuild.  I would be very
concerned with privacy issue on the system in question.  Did you do any
on-line transaction, how many secure site that require username and
password have you visited in the past six months?

        Back up all your important information.  Completely nuke the
HDD, (DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET) Reinstall your OS (DO NOT CONNECT
TO THE INTERNET), Load all OS patches (DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET),
Install AV and make sure it's 100% up to date (DO NOT CONNECT TO THE
INTERNET), Firewall the system then you should be safe to connect to the
internet.

        If you have the time prior to nuking the system it would be a
great learning tool to load ethereal on the system to see some of the
traffic.

Good Luck

Thanx, Paul