Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RealVNC / Windows 2000 Security

From: Lee Seidman <lseidman () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:27:39 -0800 (PST)

Your situation is probably more complex than my
understanding, but couldn't you just make an image of
the machine when it was clean and after your client is
done, just re-image it to the point before it was
used?

--- Adam Kane <kane () linkitsoftware com> wrote:

My software company currently uses two specific
machines
(both running Windows 2000 Pro) as "VNC" machines.
The purpose for these machines is to display two of
our software
products, and allow remote login to

the computers for potential clients (very few ask)
to test out the
program, rather than us creating a 30-day trail type
of setup.

The problem I'm running into is correctly securing
these machines.
I've set it up (realvnc) so it's using encryption,
and created very
strong passwords, along with running on a different
port specified by
me, rather than the default port, but it always
seems to fail, as I
come in sometimes and find stuff wrong with them,
like ad ware, or a
message box pop up from netsend, etc.

I have also gone as far as editing the registry for
the specific user
that we set up to run the RealVNC Server - the user
is called Client.
We made changes to the explorer policies so that the
desktop would not
show, along with disabling Internet explorer, and a
few other things I
found from a registry hack website.. but that hasn't
seemed to help
either.

The problem is that we need these VNC machines in
order to show
clients our software, but we don't want to have to
keep re-formatting
every week to ensure they are clean.

Any suggestions on how to keep these machines secure
and accessible to
our potential clients, and keeping these machines
away from any other
networked computers is appreciated.  Thanks.

-- Regards, Adam Kane