Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Programming

From: "Lepore, Brian" <Brian.Lepore () marconi com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:22:12 -0500

What I haven't heard anyone say yet on this topic was this:  If you learn
one language, the others sort of fall into place.  I'd start with C.  If you
decide that you even like programming, then you can try out the rest of
these suggestions.  I think Python or Perl is also a good place to start.
Perl is nice because you don't have to bother compiling your programs.

The one thing that you have to brace yourself for, Ben, is that a lot of
people aren't cut out for programming.  I know a lot of people that would
have loved to get into security but just couldn't get into programming.
Programming is a completely different way of thinking.  Similar to what
David said below: in most of my programming classes, there was the great
majority who were confused and then there were the 10-20 percent of students
who knew what was going on.  We became very popular in those classes.